Whether you’ve lived in your home for years or recently moved in, lawn care is one of the easiest and most affordable ways to keep the exterior of your home looking great.
There are perks and drawbacks to maintaining your yard by yourself. DIY lawn care isn’t for everyone, and some homeowners in Lafayette prefer the convenience of hiring a professional. Here are the pros and cons of DIY lawn care in Baton Rouge, LA.
- Mowing your lawn is great exercise and helps you lose weight. It’s easy to calculate the number of calories you’re burning while pushing a power mower. Just divide your weight in pounds by 2.2 and then multiply your answer by 0.08. Then multiply that answer by the number of minutes you spend mowing. If you use a manual mower, you’ll burn even more calories.
- The scent of freshly mown grass can act as a stress reliever. Just get out the mower and breathe in the aroma as you’re cutting.
- You have the option to go green. If you choose an electric mower instead of a gas-powered machine, you’ll eliminate a source of air pollution. If you do decide to go totally green, use a person-powered push mower.
- DIY lawncare let you can cut your grass on your own schedule, weather permitting. No delays if your lawn service is understaffed. But it’s crucial you cut the grass to the correct height, so your lawn can soak up the right amount of water and sun. Regular mowing also keeps pests under control. If your mower also mulches, you’re leaving behind a natural fertilizer.
- You can choose whatever mowing patterns you like: straight rows, curves, swirls or squares.
With the pros also comes the cons, which will make you think twice about investing in a new mower.
- Lawn care can be time-consuming. To save precious time, you can hire someone from LawnStarter to take care of it for you. The average price per mowing in Baton Rouge is $35.82.
- Mowing can be too strenuous for some people. If you have health issues or just don’t have the strength, you may need help. Overexerting yourself on a hot summer day makes you susceptible to heat-stroke and heat exhaustion. It could also make a chronic condition worse. Allergies and asthma can also interfere with your ability to cut the grass.
- Safety can be an issue if you’re not familiar with lawn care machinery. More than 6,300 people injure themselves every year while mowing the lawn in this country. We’re not just talking about sunburns. The study by researchers at Johns Hopkins University points to broken bones, severe cuts, and burns. (Many injuries involve children who get too close to the mower.) The average cost of medical care? $37,000 per person. It’s a lot cheaper just hiring someone to cut the grass!
- The number of injuries multiplies when you add in other lawn care equipment. Using a chainsaw to cut up that fallen tree branch is harder than it looks. Using lawncare chemicals can also be dangerous to yourself and the environment if not applied correctly. Storing chemical for lawn care can also be a problem, especially when they overheat during Baton Rouge’s hot and humid summers.
- Lawn care equipment can be expensive. The cost of maintenance and storage can also add up. Winterizing your lawn with aeration equipment, leaf blowers, and leaf disposal isn’t cheap either.
- The weather does change, and so does your lawn’s needs. In addition to gas, a mower needs maintenance: You need to sharpen the blades, change the oil and get a yearly tune-up.
The lawn care professionals at LawnStarter can save you time and money on all your yard chores. Visit our Baton Rouge lawn care page for a free estimate or any questions about creating a lush, beautiful lawn.
The post The Pros & Cons of DIY Lawn Care in Baton Rouge, LA appeared first on Lawnstarter.